1844 Original Handbill advertising the Last Concert by Mr Braham at the MUSIC HALL, George Street in Edinburgh, printed by James Brydone, 17 South Hanover Street. black on slightly pink paper. size 9" x 11"

The Assembly Rooms opened on 11 January 1787 for the Caledonian Hunt Ball. The building was funded by public subscription, costing over £6,000. The prominent site at the centre of George Street, in the centre of the recently established New Town, was donated by the town council.

The Assembly Rooms was designed by John Henderson, who was selected as architect having won a competition in 1781 for the design of the new Assembly Rooms. The original design went through three revisions before construction eventually began in 1783.  Henderson went on to die young shortly after the building was completed.

In August 1822, a Peers Ball was held in the Assembly Rooms on the occasion of a visit by King George IV to Edinburgh.

The building was extended several times during the nineteenth century. In 1818, 22 years since the opening of the Assembly Rooms, the grand portico was added by architect William Burn. Burn and his partner David Bryce went on to design the Music Hall in 1843.

Finally, in 1907, new side wings were completed to designs by Robert Rowand Anderson and Balfour Paul.  The extension also saw the inclusion of a new Supper Room, relocating the kitchen to the newly established eastern wing.

 :

Powered by SixBit
Powered by SixBit's eCommerce Solution