There is a peal of six bells, three of which are medieval. In 1970 the ancient tower was repaired and a new buttress built.

Funds for the past and future church maintenance have been and still are raised by local efforts and the generous donations of visitors.

One small sword and sheath reputed to have been used by one of the Trevanions at Bosworth Field (1485) has been missing since 1966 and a ceremonial helmet likewise since 1980 from the Lady Chapel.

The date of the original church is not known, but on the north side is a fine blocked Pre-Norman doorway which has a tympanum on which is sculptured an Agnus Dei. This is one of only six in Cornwall. The church was originally cruciform in shape and was re-dedicated by Bishop Bronescombe on 5th October 1259. There is a covered double lych-gate with stone seats, to afford cover while waiting for the corpse at a funeral. In the porch is a Aumbry and inside the church is a piscina.

In the Lady Chapel are three pikes, a helmet and a life-size statue of George Byron Bettesworth, a captain in the Royal Navy, whose grandmother was a Trevanion. Capt. Bettesworth had a brief but brave and distinguished career (1785-1808).

Near the organ is a stone marking the burial place of Isabella Byron, daughter of John Byron and his wife Sophia. Four month old Isabella would have been the Aunt to the 6th Lord Byron (Poet) who was born in 1788.

One of the Church’s south-side windows has three lights dipicting Elijah ascending into heaven, Elisha, Christ Kings of Kings, Baptism and underneath, Paul on Mars Hill, the good shepherd and John the Baptist. In the centre of the middle light is the Crucifixion.

As with most churchs in todays world St Michael Caerhays is desperatley in need of money for refurbishment. To help raise funds the PCC have now published a book of Parson Willimots notes and drawings from his time as Rector here in the late eighteen hundreds, please contact The Estate Office (tel: 01872 501310 or enquiries@caerhays.co.uk) for further information
St Michael Caerhays is a civil parish and village in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. The village is about seven miles south-southwest of St Austell. The population as of the 2011 census was 96 St Michael Caerhays lies within the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

George Ellis was born in London in 1900. In the 1920s he became a freelance photographer in the London area and also undertook photography expeditions overseas.

He sold the part of his collection covering Cornwall between 1939 and 1982 to Cornwall Library Service in the 1980s. It consists of approximately 95,000 images, the majority of which are black and white glass plate negatives. The collection is looked after at Kresen Kernow and we are exploring opportunities to get it properly catalogued and digitised.